Custard-Top Cassava Cake

Wednesday, December 17, 2014


I made this a week ago as I have been craving for it in weeks! Now that I finally have my appetite back (yes I'm preggo ^_^) and that food tastes like food again, I finally gave it a go. I search online for the best (and easy) cassava cake recipe and I found this one from Pinoy Hapagkainan which was very close to my mom-in-law's cassava cake recipe. The recipe from the website asks for a cup of sugar but I opted for just half a cup so it won't be overwhelmingly sweet. :)

The recipe yields two trays of cassava cake and is really, really, really good! I'll stop talking and lets get going with the recipe. Here are the ingredients: 

For the cassava cake:
2 16oz packs of grated cassava
1/2 can of condensed milk
1/2 can coconut milk
1 can of evaporated milk
1/2  of a bottle of macapuno
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/4 cup melted margarine/butter
a pinch of salt

For the Custard Topping:
1/2 can coconut milk
1/2 can condensed milk
2 egg yolks
the rest of the macapuno left




 Procedure:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Combine all the cake ingredients in a large bowl. 
 Mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
 Pour the cake mixture into two baking trays and leave at least an inch space for the topping. Bake the mixture in the oven for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown (but not burned).
 While the cakes are baking, put in the coconut milk, condensed milk, egg yolks, and the rest of the macapuno and mix until well-combined. 
 When the cakes are done, pour in the custard mixture and spread evenly on top. 
  Place the cakes back in the oven and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
 And it's done and the whole place smells so good! 
And they look oh, so good! 
You can go ahead and bake the cakes with the custard longer if you want them a little more well-done but this is just perfect for me. Yum!  
Let the cakes rest and cool down to give them time to set.
 Or you can just eat it right away like we did! Haha! 
                 And I just have to take more pictures because it really looks and smells so good! :)
O-kay, last photo :)
Have fun baking! 


- C  

No comments:

Post a Comment