Mongolian Beef Lo Mein

Tuesday, June 24, 2014



Most of the recipes I'll be posting here will be my very own "Julie and Julia" take on recipes I saw online, or my mom's/mom-in-law's recipes, recipes from friends, or just some random craving. 

So here's a recipe that I saw on Pinterest from momsdish.com. The way she illustrated the cooking procedure with her photos made it so easy for me to follow the instructions (and know that I'm doing it just right). 

Natalya, the blogger, called this recipe Beef Lo Mein. But I think it deserves a better name because as per Natalya, the taste is absolutely, ridiculously the bomb! This recipe had me at that.  Absolutely, ridiculously the bomb! Hahaha! :)

The sauce for the steak was basically the makings of a mongolian beef recipe, thus, I'm giving it that name. I followed the cooking procedure meticulously except that I had to replace the beef better than bullion with hoisin sauce because that's what I had at the time. It still tasted good. Bomb good! *wink!

I prepared this dish for Chlo's 11th month birthday with a tray of cheesy-bacon potato bites on the side. Yum! Mark's ship went underway that week so Chlo's Godmom, Marie Lou, came over to celebrate with us. 

And so, here goes...

Ingredients:



  • 8 ounces Thin Spaghetti, broken in half
  • 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
  • 1/4 cups Boiled Water
  • 1 Hoisin Sauce (or Beef better than Bullion)
  • 3 tablespoon Soy Sauce
  • 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
  • Oil for frying
  • 1 pound Beef
  • 2 cups Broccoli
  • 1 large Onion
  • 4 garlic cloves


  • Procedure:


    Cook spaghetti per box instructions. Into cooked spaghetti add sesame oil and stir well to combine. 

    Into hot, boiled water add hoisin sauce and brown sugar; stir to dissolve. Into the mixture, add soy sauce and set aside. 

     Using a hot skillet, brown both sides of the beef. Let beef cool and slice it into two inch pieces.


    Add sliced beef into the same skillet, fry until completely cooked. Into the cooked beef, add sauce mixture, cook all together for about a minute, set aside.

    Using the skillet, where you've cooked beef, sauté onions until golden brown. Remove from the heat. 

    In a separate oiled skillet, sautee carrots until softened, add broccoli and cook for about three minutes. Press garlic into the same mixture and remove form the heat.


    In a large dish, combine spaghetti, vegetables and beef, together. Toss to combine, serve hot.



    Cheesy-bacon potato bites 

    - C 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment